free financial help
Your FREE resource for
finding financial answers

investment, retirement, tax, & more

ask financial questions search financial questions read financial articles find financial advisers
Financial advisers, we need your help. Click here to find out more.

U.S. International Tax Withholding and Reporting Requirements

Payments made by U.S. citizens and resident aliens (“U.S. persons”) to non-U.S. persons are typically subject to U.S. tax withholding and result in U.S. tax reporting requirements. These requirements can be difficult to understand and a misstep can prove to be very costly.

U.S. Tax Withholding

Whether a U.S. person is required to withhold tax depends on the “source” of the income. U.S. persons generally must withhold tax on U.S.-source income that is paid to non-U.S. persons. U.S.-source income includes “fixed or determinable payment of annual or periodic income” or FDAP income. FDAP income consists of interest, dividends, rents, salaries, wages, premiums, annuities, compensation, remunerations, emoluments, and other gains and income that have their origins in the U.S.

The tax withholding rate for U.S.-source FDAP income is generally 30 percent unless there is a different rate provided by law or a U.S. Tax Treaty with the country where the payee resides.

Several types of income are specifically excepted from the tax withholding requirement. For example, non-U.S. source income (such as payments for services performed in foreign countries) and certain other specifically enumerated U.S.-source income (such as portfolio and other interest payments).

U.S. Tax Reporting

There payor may have the payee complete a Form W-9 or Form 8233 to determine how to report the payment to the IRS. The payee may then obtain more specific forms from the payee, including Forms W-8ECI (for income that is “effectively connected” with a U.S. trade or business) or W-BEN (for income that is not “effectively connected” with a U.S. trade or business), or some other form.

If appropriate, the payor can then report the payment to the U.S. government. The payee may need to file Form 1042, 1042-S, and 1042-T to report the payments to the IRS and/or the payee. These forms may need to be filed even if the payor is not required to withhold tax.

Also, when a payee claims a benefit of a tax law or treaty to reduce the rate or withholding amount, the payor may be required to complete a Form 8833. This form is used to make a Treaty-Based Return Disclosure.

This is a very basic overview of these rules. The actual rules are much more involved, as is the process of applying the withholding and reporting rules to specific factual situations. Taxpayers may find Publication 515 helpful in assessing their U.S. tax withholding and reporting requirements. Given the complexity of these rules, taxpayers are well advised to have their tax counsel determine the taxpayer’s correct tax withholding and reporting obligations.

Add This Article To:
    Facebook LinkedIn Twitter E-mail this story to a friend! Print this article! PDF RSS

Related Articles:

  • Financial Goals: Finding Certainty in Uncertainty
  • Employment Taxes & LLCs: A Look at Payroll Taxes

  • Leave a Reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    About: free financial advice | bookstore | partners | financial resources | sitemap/google sitemap | contact us
    For financial advisers: advisor join | advisor login
    For advertisers: advertise
    Legal: disclaimer | terms of use
    Mechanics of Money, LLC - © - All Rights Reserved

    Do you have a financial or money-related question you would like to know the answer to? If so, submit your free money question to advisers using our site.